On Friday, March 13 (ominous) the Dutch government decided to place its citizens on an ‘intelligent lock down’. While many European countries enforced strict lock down policies, keeping many indoors, the Dutch were allowed to go outside for bike rides, walks, and essential trips to the grocery store and pharmacist.
While in full lock down mode, most shops and all bars and restaurants were closed. Like many of you reading this, I had to find ways to entertain myself, and after consuming 10 cases of rose and 4 pounds of pot, I decided I was being lazy and needed to do something more than mentioned above. My liver and thighs are very appreciative I might add.
This belles, this is what led me to tie dye! Complete and utter boredom. Many of you don’t know this, but I have been a nanny for over 12 years and my experience with crafts is pretty impressive, but never EVER have I tie dyed so much as a sock.
Once all my garments and dye kit arrived I was ready to roll!
Follow the steps below to tie dye everything under the sun, or clouds if you are in Amsterdam.
- Prepare your work station. Do not rush this process or you will stain something. I live in a flat and don’t have a garden so I taped bin liners on my wooden table.
- Soak your soon-to-be tie dyed garments in Soda Ash. Yeah, I know, I had no fucking clue what soda ash was either until I started dying anything I could get my mitts on
- After soaking the garments it’s time for the real fun…just kidding. It’s time to rubber band all your shit: your sweater, hoodies, t-shirt, socks, etc. This is not fun and a real pain in the ass. But if you don’t rubber band properly you won’t get the desired affect, sorry!!
- WEAR THOSE DAMN GLOVES GIRL! I decided to be cavalier and not wear my gloves and ended up looking like a deranged person with multi-colored hands for about 4 days. Not a good look.
- Let the dying start. My piece of advice to you? If you feel like you are using to much dye you probably need to use more. You want the dye to fully saturate into the material so you aren’t left with a mostly white piece of clothing. DO NOT PLACE PURPLE NEXT TO YELLOW. It will be a murky fucking mess.
- Wrap your ‘lit’ garments in Saran Wrap and let them sit for a full 24 hours.
- After the 24 hours is over unwrap your garments and rinse in a sink with cold water for about 20 minutes or until the water runs clear.
- Wash in cold water.
- WEAR YOUR MASTERPIECE IN ALL ITS GLORY